Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Turkish Delights Do Anything But

I got tricked into seeing The Turkish Delights play once because I thought there were going to be Camel representatives there, you know, like one of those promotional deals. Upon arriving at the show, I realized that I was thinking about "Turkish Royals" and immediately kicked myself for coming out the house. Since it was too late at that point to turn back, I did not struggle while being dragged into the venue.

I was feeling pretty nervous because I realized that the name of this band was or could be a reference to a CS Lewis book. This made me worry that these guys could be a bunch of emo pseudo-metal , christian-rockers. I could deal with no cigarettes but not a dull Creed cover-band prayer circle. I was beginning to get anxiety. The only thing that I could think about at that point was how an actual Turkish Delight tasted. I mean, have you ever eaten a Turkish Delight? They look good, sure, but they taste like...well, shit. Like a big shit sandwich. Which, in a wrenching twist of irony, is also the name of a Turkish Delight EP.

The show began and the lights were lowered and the 65,000 people that had come to witness the forthcoming, crushing display of mediocrity took their places. As the guy with the acoustic guitar started screeching; as the crescendo of the drums became a vicious blur, and as the bass player really didn't do much that i can remember; I needed a drink. After suffering through the rest of the set, and watching the crowd slowly dissipate song by song, I remember asking myself what kind of narcissist would walk around wearing a hat with his own name printed on it. Maybe he wants to look in the mirror after his band wins the Dayton Band Playoffs, after he finally makes it, so he can bask in his conspicuously bad reflection with it on.

Due to the fact that my suspicions had been all proved true (except for the Turkish Delights being good-looking), I exited the establishment. I promised myself that the next time I needed cigarettes or shitty tasting chocolate, I would just go to the gas station.

6 comments:

  1. Turkish delights do taste like shit but they are not chocolate. They are "a confection made from starch and sugar" and "often flavored with rosewater, mastic or lemon; rosewater gives it a characteristic pale pink color."

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you know how to use wikipedia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkish Royals are the yummiest cancer sticks on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww now i'm sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHO ARE THE TURKISH DELIGHTS?

    ReplyDelete